Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 DOE
Job Description: Title: Director of Recovery Services
Department: Recovery Services
Report to: President & CEO
Why First Call?
First Call’s values of person-centered service, community, collaboration, and kindness are foundational for the agency’s focus on accessibility, commitment to data-driven practice, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as we work toward our mission to reduce the impact of alcohol, drugs, and addiction by providing quality resources for individuals, families, and the community.
The Director of Recovery Services is responsible for the oversight, implementation, and management of First Call’s Recovery Services programming, including the Crisis Call line, Substance Use Evaluations, Recovery Advocacy, and Drug Court services, and is responsible for regulatory compliance and quality of service delivery. This position provides supervision to Recovery Services staff and serves as primary field instructor to practicum placement students. The Director of Recovery Services plays a crucial role in shaping and enhancing the quality of recovery support services in Kansas City, representing First Call in community forums, coalitions, and events.
At First Call, we recognize that a comprehensive, whole-person employee benefits plan for our staff is key to providing our clients with the quality care and treatment they need. Our staff benefits and perks plan is designed to provide tools to help promote health, wellbeing, balance, and safety in each area of life. We offer a hybrid (in office & work from home) schedule as well as flexibility in scheduling for better work/life balance.
Our benefits plan focuses on six key areas – Equal Opportunity Employment and a DEI-focused environment, generous paid time off, 13 paid holidays, an agency funded whole-person health and life package (including a 100% coverage of employee healthcare premiums), personal and team development opportunities, and board & leadership defined staff safety and wellbeing policies.
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Requirements: Major Functions
1. Work in accordance with the agency’s long range strategic plan and be responsible for recovery services program implementation and outcomes
2. Provide supervision and oversight of recovery services staff (6-8 team members, depending on funding), to include student interns providing recovery services on behalf of First Call
3. Ensure that recovery services programming aligns with industry standards and evidence-based practices.
4. Serve as key contact and maintain program compliance through internal quality assurance and external collaboration/communication with CARF, DMH, COMBAT, and SAMSHA as well as all other funding sources
5. Oversee all grant-funded recovery services programming to ensure documentation and service delivery align with funder requirements
6. Liaison with key vendors, including off-hours answering service and electronic health record vendor, to ensure processes accurately capture data and reflect First call’s standard of care.
7. Identify opportunities for program expansion, improvement, and innovation
8. Establish and maintain working relationships with community providers, developing and facilitating inter-agency collaboration.
9. Provide recovery support and mental health training and education to staff, community members, and other stakeholders.
10. Implement and oversee outcomes evaluation processes that measure the efficacy of recovery services programs, co-chair the agency’s Outcomes Committee
11. Participate as a member of First Call’s Leadership Team
12. Some in-town and out-of-town travel may be required to complete position responsibilities.
a. Work hours will include some weekend and evening activities.
13. Other duties as deemed appropriate for the fulfillment of the mission of First Call; including but not limited to backup crisis call coverage or front desk coverage.
Knowledge and Critical Skills/Expertise
1. Master’s Degree in social work, social services, or related field is required; LCSW licensure in Missouri is preferred, with eligible reciprocity in Kansas
2. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in related field
3. Demonstrated knowledge of substance use disorders, the recovery process, and the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
4. Previous supervision experience in a direct-services setting
5. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with outside organizations and professionals
6. Ability to work under pressure and meet established guidelines
Salary: $70,000-$80,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
1. The First Call main office is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Thursday, with remote work and a closed building on Fridays. Employees are given up to 1 hour for lunch and/or breaks each day. First Call values flexibility; as such, employee schedules and locations for work throughout the week will be determined by the needs of their position and set in consultation with their direct supervisor.
2. Must be located in Kansas City, MO, have access to reliable personal transportation, and access to reliable internet for at-home work days.
3. First Call provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
4. First Call’s Commitment to Diversity: First Call Staff and Governing Board reflect our region’s diversity and understand that treatment of substance use and mental health disorders in the United States has been adversely impacted by systemic racism and stigma. First Call is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion, mutual respect, support, and connectedness. In recruiting for its team, First Call welcomes the unique contributions that individuals can bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Email resume and cover letter to Melissa Gard, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply: Please Submit a resume and cover letter to: Melissa Gard email@example.com